Sunday, January 27, 2008

Personal Essay Topic

It was hard to decide what topic I was going to chose for my first essay. I decided I would write about my experience i had with stereotyping. The exercise we did in class made me realize that i could right about my experience. My stereotype experience came from where i went to high school. I went to a small private high school in Oklahoma City. Many people in the Oklahoma City area would also consider kids from my high school to be filthy rich and spoiled. If i ever went up to a person that I met for the first time they would just assume that. I met a group of girls one time and that was the first thing they said to me "Oh so that means you are really rich?" It would always be very frustrating when people would say things like that because the stereotype is not true. I know many friends from my high school that are not as well off as many of the people that are making these stereotypes about my school. I hope while looking into this stereotype about my high school. I understand since its private school that assumptions can be made but i believe its unfair for people to make statements like I have heard before just because of a school you go to. I am excited to write about this topic because i have never before and i have been dealing with it for a couple of years now.

2 comments:

froggie07 said...

I am very interested to reading this personal essay of yours because stereotyping can happen to anywhere to anyone and it just makes no sense. I would like to see what kind of questions you about your story that you want to ask because I believe this can be an amazing piece! See you Wednesday! - Amber

April Patrick said...

This sounds like a great experience to discuss in your personal essay! As you approach it, like Amber, I would like to know what questions you have about the experience as you begin writing about it. Looking forward to reading your draft on Friday!